Multi-spindle screw machines, also known as multi-axis turning machines, employ multiple spindles that are positioned and carried inside of a precision machined drum. The drum rotates along the horizontal axis and allows for multiple and simultaneous cuts to the workpiece.
Multi-spindle machines are typically configured with four, five, six, or eight spindles with each spindle acting as a separate 2-axis lathe. By splitting the total number of required operations amongst the spindles, they produce completed parts within a full rotation of the drum. These machines are highly efficient and cost-effective as multiple parts can be machined at a time.
At Merced Screw Products, we are equipped with 12 CNC milling machines and 6 CNC lathes, which allow us to offer our clients an extensive range of tight tolerance, precision CNC machining services. Our advanced machinery, combined with our experienced staff of in-house tool and die makers, ensure that we provide our clients with high quality products at affordable prices.
Advantages of Multi-Spindle Machines
Employing multi-spindle screw machines provides manufacturers with several advantages, including:
- Greater machining versatility. By integrating more spindles, these machines enable manufacturers to produce more complex parts.
- More streamlined production process. As the spindles can perform multiple operations simultaneously, these machines can be used to reduce the number of production stations needed to complete a part.
- Less downtime. Multi-spindle machines promote production with little idle time or downtime, which reduces the total processing time for projects.
- Higher production output rates. The greater number of spindles also decreases the total time needed to complete a part, allowing manufacturers to produce higher volumes of finished parts in a shorter period.
- Greater time and cost efficiency. The high production output rate and smaller downtime periods afforded by multi-spindle machines increase both the time- and cost-effectiveness of production, which allows machine shops to offer clients more affordable prices.
Materials We Work With
We offer our clients a number of metal and plastic materials to choose from, such as:
- Cast Iron
- Steel (including stainless steel)
Our Multi-Spindle Equipment
At Merced Screw Products, our 25,000-square-foot plant allows for plenty of space for the most advanced and innovative equipment and machinery. Some of our more notable equipment includes:
- 50 Brown & Sharpe Automatics with 1/16 inch to 2 & 3/8 inch bar capacity
- 9 Wickman Six Spindle Automatics with up to 2 & 5/8 inch bar capacity
- 9 Brown & Sharpe Hand Screw Machines
- 7 Fagor 2-Axis CNC Lathes
- 6 Hardinge Turret Lathes
Tolerances and Applications
We offer our clients machining capabilities that are significantly higher than the industry standard, including +/- 0.0001 in. machining tolerances and machining for bar diameters over 3.5 inches.
Our close-tolerance products—including fittings, fasteners, rivets, and rods—regularly find application in a wide range of industries:
- Automotive applications often require specialized fittings
- Marine applications call for bushings, levers, and pins
- Our fully equipped facility and knowledgeable staff allow us to produce high quality agricultural equipment quickly and at low costs
- Our components have been used in healthcare and fitness applications for wheelchairs, bicycles, and exercise equipment
Contact Merced Screw Products Today
At Merced Screw Products, we pride ourselves on offering true turnkey solutions. All of our parts are made in the USA, and all our clients have access to design assistance, in-house tooling, and secondary services like deburring, polishing, centerless grinding, and select assembly services. We are committed to offering a personal touch without sacrificing our ability to grow our business and address all customer needs.
We are centrally located in California and offer delivery to clients within 300 miles of our facilities. Our fully equipped 25,000 square foot facility and commitment to quality have allowed us to work with national and global clients, including in Mexico, Germany, and Canada, as well.
If you are looking to get a quote on your next machining project, contact our team today.